Screening Criteria for Portland Properties Only
Thank you for choosing one of our properties for your future residence. Kerr Properties, Inc. is an Equal Housing Opportunity provider and seeks to process all applications in a fair and consistent manner.
Sight Unseen: If the Applicants(s) have not physically viewed the property for which they’re applying, prior to submitting their application, by signing the screening criteria Applicant(s) understand that the property will not be viewed until the day of move in.
Reservation Deposits: Owner/Agents will require Applicant(s) to sign a Reservation Deposit Agreement, and pay a reservation deposit, if Applicant(s) will not sign and enter into a Rental Agreement within 72 hours following Owner’s/Agent’s notice to Applicant(s) that the applications have been approved. In the event the Applicant(s) fails to execute a Rental Agreement and take possession of the property, except as stated reservation deposit will not be refunded, including if the Applicant(s) did not view the property prior to applying. If the Agreement to Execute Rental Agreement move in date is on 15th of the month or after the pro-rated and next month rent is due at the time of move in.
Screening Charge: Owner/Agent is charging an application Screening Charge of $ 50.00 per financially responsible applicant. This charge is non-refundable, unless the Owner/Agent does not screen the Applicant.
Application Process: There is a mandatory 72 hour waiting period before the Open Application Period can start, which is stated in our advertisements. If you apply during this waiting period we are required to record your application with an 8 hour penalty. It is your responsibility to view and know when the Open Application period starts for the property you are applying for. We process the first completed application with no missing information.
Your application will not be processed with materially incomplete information. Your application will take approximately 3 business days to process, but may take longer if the information is difficult to verify, or there is unanticipated delays. During the screening process, we may use a tenant screening company, credit reports, public records or criminal records, and we may contact employers, landlords or other references. We may verify your income and your references provided in your application.
- Select your desired property, we do not pre-screen applicants.
- Complete the application and pay your non-refundable application screening charge.
- Government photo ID is required, given they show name, date of birth, and photo of applicant. Unless contrary to applicable law, Applicant(s) must be one of the following: (a) at least 18 years of age, (b)emancipated, or (c) (in Oregon) a minor possessing the right to contract for necessities, as set forth in ORS 109.697
- Proof of Verifiable income
- Complete the pet screening as directed in the pet policy section.
We require complete, accurate and truthful information: Each person over the age of 18 must submit an application that will be residing in the home. Materially incomplete, inaccurate or falsified information will be grounds for denying your application. If we later discover that you submitted substantially false information regarding a criminal conviction, after you become our tenant, we may terminate your tenancy. You will have the option to select designate a Financially Responsible applicant for the approval process.
Occupancy: Occupancy is based on the number of bedrooms in the premises. (A bedroom is defined as a habitable room that is intended to be used primary for sleeping purposes, contains at least 70 square feet and is configured so as to take the need for a fire exit into account and meets all city, state requirements) 2 persons are allowed per bedroom, plus 1 additional occupant. In a designated studio apartment, 2 persons are allowed. Exceptions may be made to this policy, if the law so requires.
Screening Criteria: In addition to any other criteria contained, herein, the following criteria apply. If you do not meet all of the criteria contained herein, we may increase the security deposit or deny your application. If a co-signer is necessary, the co-signer must complete and sign an application. The acceptance of a co-signer is not normal policy and is subject to individual approval or denial by Kerr Properties, Inc. The co-signer must be a local living in Multnomah, Clackamas or Washington counties. Co-Signers may only be considered for applicants who meet the screening criteria except for lack of income.
Income Requirements: The gross monthly household income must be equal to or greater than two to two and have (2-2.5) times the monthly rent. The income requirement will depend on the Portland Housing Bureau’s Rental Housing Application and Screening Minimum Income Requirement Table. All income must be taken from verifiable legal sources (Verifiable income may mean, but is not limited to: Employment, bank accounts, alimony/child support, trust accounts, social security, unemployment, welfare, and vouchers under Section 8 or Home Forward.)
- If employment income is being used, a current paystub from your current employer is required.
- Self-employed applicant(s) will be required to show the previous year’s tax return to show proof of income. Application will be denied if the legal source of income cannot be verified or if unable to provide tax documentation verifying income.
- If you are a non-financial responsible resident, income will not be a determining factor.
Section 8/Home Forward: Section 8/Home Forward applicant(s) must earn 2-2.5 times the residents stated portion of rent. The income requirement will depend on the Portland Housing Bureau’s Rental Housing Application and Screening Minimum Income Requirement Table. Example; if the rent is $1000/Mo and applicant(s) receive a monthly voucher for $700, the household income must show $600-750 a month depending upon whether or not the unit is deemed “more expensive” or “less expensive” as defined in the PHB Administrative Rules.
Rental History/Mortgage Requirements: Applicant(s) must provide 3 years of satisfactory, unbiased (from a non-relative) reference from their current and previous landlords.
- Current or previous rental/mortgage history showing 1-2 late payments within the previous 12 months may result in denial.
- Three (3) or more late RENTAL payments, 144 hour notices or 72 hour notices within the previous 12 months of application will result in denial.
- Three (3) or more late Mortgage payments within the previous 12 months of application will result in a denial.
- Two (2) or more NSF checks within a one year period will result in a denial.
- An application insufficient in rental/mortgage history for all applicant(s) or a non-third party shall require an additional security deposit equal to 50% stated security deposit.
- Five years of eviction free rental history is required. Eviction actions that were dismissed or resulted in a judgement for the applicant will not be considered.
- A pending eviction action that has not yet resulted in a dismissal or judgment in favor of the applicant, at the time of the application will be denied except for general eviction judgments entered on claims that arose on or after April1, 2020 and before March 1, 2022.
- Rental history with a past due rent or outstanding balance will be denied except for unpaid rent, including rent reflected in judgements or referrals of debt to a collection agency, that accrued on or after April 1, 2020, and before March 1, 2022.
- If current/past landlord fails to give reference within three business days or current or previous landlord gives a negative reference, application will be denied.
- Rental history demonstrating lease violations will be denied.
Credit: Applicant(s) must have a credit score of at least 600
- Except as provided below, a credit history with negative reports will not be accepted. A “negative report” is any non-medical and non-mortgage item 60 days past due or greater, charge offs, repossessions, settlements for less than full amount or garnishments. Negative credit will result in additional guidelines as follows:
Bankruptcy: If a report contains a bankruptcy a 25% additional deposit of the original deposit will be required. Any report containing an active or dismissed bankruptcy will result in a denial.
- 1-2 items 60 days past due or greater, collections, charge-offs, repossessions, settlements for less than full amount or garnishments will require an additional deposit of 25%.
- 3-4 of the items above will require an additional security deposit of 50%.
- 5-6 or more of the items will result in a denial.
- 7 or more will result in a denial.
If you are a non-financial responsible resident, credit will not be a determining factor.
Collections: A report containing any cumulative amount less than $500.00 in collections will require an additional deposit of 50% of the original security deposit. A report containing a cumulative amount in excess of $500 in collections will be denied.
Judgements/Liens: A report containing any cumulative amount less than $500.00 of judgements and liens will require an additional deposit of 50%. A report containing a cumulative amount in excess of $500 in judgments or liens will be denied.
Criminal: A search of public records to determine whether the applicant or any proposed tenant has been convicted of, or has plead guilty or no contest to, any crime, and/or whether there are pending criminal charges. If the applicant, or any proposed occupant, has a conviction in their past which would disqualify them under these criminal conviction criteria, and desires to submit additional information to owner/Agent along with the application so Owner/Agent can engage in an Individual Assessment (described below) upon receipt of the results of the public record search and prior to denial, applicant should do so. Otherwise, applicant may request the review process after denial as set forth below, however the unit may not be held, if the review request from the applicant is given after the unit was committed to another applicant.
Convictions: A conviction (including a guilty plea or no contest) for any of the followings will be grounds for denial of the rental application, subject to review process request described below:
- Murder, manslaughter, aggravated vehicular manslaughter, negligent homicide, Class A felonies involving arson, rape, kidnapping, child sex crimes, where date of disposition, release or parole has occurred in the last 10 years.
- Class A felonies not included above for, drug related crimes, person crimes, sex offenses, financial fraud crimes, burglary, where the date of disposition, release or parole has occurred in the last 10 years.
- Class B felony for drug related crimes, person crimes, sex offenses, financial fraud crimes, aggravated theft, where the date of disposition, release or parole has occurred in the last 7 years.
- Class C felony for drug related crimes, person crimes, sex offenses, financial fraud crimes, burglary theft, criminal mischief, coercion, animal abuse, where the date of disposition, release or parole has occurred in the last 5 years.
- Class A misdemeanor for drug related crimes, person crimes, sex offenses, financial fraud crimes, criminal impersonation, violation of a restraining order, criminal mischief, stalking, disorderly conduct, unlawful possession of a firearm, possession of burglary tools, where the date of disposition, release or parole has occurred in the last 3 years.
- Class B misdemeanor for drug related crimes, person crimes, sex offenses, financial fraud crimes, disorderly conduct, where the date of disposition, release or parole has occurred in the last 18 months.
Individualized Review Process: Owner/Agent will engage in an individual assessment of the applicant’ or other proposed occupant’s.
- Review all credit, criminal, and rental history for basis of approval or denial.
- Review of supporting documentation presented during the application submission.
- Supporting documentation may include: Letter from parole or probation office, caseworker, therapist, counselor etc. Certification of treatments/rehab programs. Letter from employer, teacher, etc. Certification of trainings completed. Proof of employment, and/or statement from the applicant.
- Consider relevant individualized evidence of mitigating factors, which include: the facts or circumstances surrounding the criminal conduct, the age of the convicted person at the time of conduct; the elapsed time since criminal activity and/or parole; evidence of rehabilitation efforts; good tenant history before and/or after the conviction or conduct; and evidence of rehabilitation efforts. Agent/Owner may request additional information and may consider whether there have been multiple convictions as part of this process.
- Notify applicant of the results of Owner/Agent’s review within a within two weeks after receipt of all required information and will include an explanation of the reasons for denial including an explanation if the supplemental evidence did not adequately compensate for the factors that informed the owner/agent to reject application.
- Hold the unit for which the application was received for a reasonable time under all circumstances to complete the review unless prior to receipt of applicant’s written request (if made after denial) and all supporting documentation the unit was committed to another applicant.
Co-Signer Policy – Must live locally within the Portland Metro Area (Multnomah, Clackamas, Washington counties)
- Have very good established credit with a minimum credit score of 700.
- Meet all the general requirements listed above.
- Have a monthly gross income of three (3) times the stated rental amount.
- Have a good credit history with no more than one (1) negative report.
Pet Policy: (If allowed, see ad)
- If the property you have applied for accepts a pet the rent in the amount of $60 per month per pet will be applied to your Rental Agreement.
- If Applicants desire to bring any pet onto the premises, then Applicants must first submit verifiable proof, from a veterinarian, 任何宠物在一(1)年, has all current shots, all immunizations, is neutered or spayed, and is licensed.
- Up to two pets are allowed upon approval unless otherwise stated in ad.
- 50 Lbs. or under unless otherwise stated in ad.
- Pet Screening is required.
The Pet Screening application fee is $20 for the first pet and $15 for all additional pets. The Pet Screening fee is paid directly to the 3rd party pet screening company. If you have an animal (including assistance animals) please feel free to visit the link below
The following breeds are prohibited due to insurance limitations on liability: Pit bulls and Staffordshire Terriers, Doberman Pinschers, Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Chows, Great Danes, Presa Canarios, Akitas, Alaskan Malamutes, Siberian Huskies, Wolf-hybrids or any mixed breed containing any portion or characteristic of those breeds.
Some properties may be subject to the restrictions of a homeowner association. For more details please contact our office and a property manager will happily assist you.
Service or Assistance Animals
If you have an assistance animal, you will need to go to the animal screening website to have your Service or Assistance animals verified. There is no charge for screening a Service or Assistance animal. Contact the leasing team for details with any other questions regarding Service or Assistance animals.
- Applicant has the right to dispute the accuracy of any information provided to the Owner/Agent by a screening service or credit reporting agency.
- If approved Applicant(s) must submit written proof that Applicant(s) have $100,000.00 liability coverage, pursuant to an existing renter’s liability insurance policy adding Kerr Properties, Inc.
- Applicant(s) have the right to appeal a negative determination.
Po Box 1308 Gresham, OR 97030 added as an additional interest.
- There is a $250.00 fee per incident to add or remove a tenant during the term of your Rental Agreement/lease Agreement.
- No Smoking on interior of dwelling. (see add if no smoking on premises)